Finding activities to escape

5 Reasons Basketball Is The Right Sport For Your Kids - AND 1 Australia


     In "The other Wes Moore", we see Wes and his friends escape the outside chaos through playing basketball. Basketball gave him something to do and felt like a distraction. Wes was feeling torn between his school friends and his neighborhood friends, he also started to feel like he missed being home in Maryland. Playing basketball was a way for him to forget all of that and to just have mindless fun. I can totally relate to this feeling. When I was in school, I never felt like I truly fit in some place. I always floated around friend groups and never believed I belonged anywhere. I struggled with my identity because there were many different groups with different types of people and at the time, I didn't know what person I wanted to be. Then I found dance. I started competitive dance in 7th grade. This absolutely changed my life. I truly began to understand what passion and devotion to a craft felt like. I felt at home when I danced, I was swallowed by the music, and I felt the movement completely engulf my body and mind. The stress of the day immediately vanished and my only thoughts where what I was doing in the moment. At the time I didn't know the real impact of what I was doing, all I knew is I wanted to do more of it. So, I did, I joined as many groups as I could and started spending countless hours at the studio. Dance became not only my therapy, but my social life too. I found a strong group of friends at dance, and we ended up spending all of our time together, inside and outside the studio. I eventually noticed that when everyone is in the same room with the same passion for doing what they love, making friends became so much easier. As I move on though out my dancing journey, I still find that true today. Spending so many hours together through blood, sweat and tears, creates a real team and a true bond. I loved this. Dance made me feel like I belonged and like there was a place for me. I think having hobbies and activities to escape too is so important and can change the layout of someone's life. I know what it feels like to not belong and that feeling can cause people to make decisions they aren't proud of. So, finding that one thing to escape too can be all a person needs.  Of course, this comes with wanting the best for yourself. It can be easy to fall into hobbies that are dangerous and end up doing more harm than good. We see the other Wes struggle with the drug scene, he starts to get involved with the guys on the corner after school. We can assume this has a negative impact on his life since we are aware he is in prison. its Vidal to find a healthy way to cope with stress and anxiety. So in the end I truly believe that picking a positive, mind building activity like dance, drawing, cooking, reading or playing basketball is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Comments

  1. hey kaitlyn, I felt the same way about never feeling like I fit in a certain group and felt unsure of myself. I was confused as well as to what group I connected with more or which one made me feel comfortable enough to be surrounded by those people. We all find a passion that pulls us away from everything that happens arounds us. I love dancing! It brings me peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your response Kaitlyn! Feeling like you don't belong and the confusion in identity is also something I struggled with. Our hobbies and interests can really become healthy places to escape to and sometimes better ourselves. I'm glad you were able to find that through dance and shared that experience in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice way to cope with difficult times. I too sometimes have felt i didn't belong somewhere. I'm glad dance helped you find a way to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are we products of our environment or our expectations?